What tire to replace short lived runflats? - Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What tire to replace short lived runflats?

My 2005 CTSV only got 11k miles on the runflats without any abuse on good roads(Phoenix) with mainly freeway driving. Moderately aggressive driving without burnouts or track time-yet. I have the typical mods(chip, filter, full B&B exhaust, Katech short shifter, BMR anti-wheel hop kit and strut tower brace, Lingenfelter snubbers, Eibachs + alignment, stainless steel brake lines, Ultimate pedals and 3M clear bra) The differential was replaced at 300 miles under warranty(was leaking fluid). Original set of F1 runflats replaced at 1K miles because they were defective. The second set of tires were rotated every 5K and road force balanced each time. I want to switch to regular tires and carry a small compressor+Slime(like I have done with my other cars) I have a set of Nitto 555's on my wife's 2002 SLK32 Renntech which have been good performers over the last 3k miles. I'm thinking of the Nitto INVO(supposedly quieter) or 555 given the CTSV's rapid tire wear. Has anybody tried either of these tires on their V? Or other similar priced tire? I don't want to consider Michelin Pilots or Bridgestones Potenza. Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 12:56 PM

I would give the Invo's a try.
I'm thinking about those myself.

Just don't do the 555's, I had a set before and they are a huge step down from F1's.

I'm not sure why you are excluding 2 of the best tires available:

Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Bridgestone Potenza RE-01

I have had PS2's and they do everything well (performance, comfort, quiet, longevity) and are worth the money.

04 CTS-V: Stock
04 WRX Wagon: Modded Like Crazy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

What tire to replace short lived runflats.

How many miles did you get out of your PS2s?
The cost of each is almost $100/corner more. However, this isn't my only vehicle. I just sold my 96 Targa(Falken Azenis) and 2005 Lotus Elise(Yokohama A048-super sticky) I still have my 2002 Cooper S(everything modified but clutch, alum flywheel and LSD) That has Yokohama AVS100s. They' re getting loud and very slippery after 14k. I've read reviews where people complain about soft sidewalls in the INVO. I may still try them. If I do and they're crappy, then I can always "increase usage" to decrease remaining treadlife. I'll still have lots of smiles with my miles.
Then I would be forced to go to the PS2s. Thanks for the feedback

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 04:43 PM

The PS2's lasted me just under 1 year (13K) but that included 6 (road course) track days.
The car was my WRX which shreds front tires badly on track days.
If I just did normal street driving, I'm sure they would have lasted roughly twice as long.

I have fond memories of the PS2's because they are the best wearing, most comfortable, quietest, street performance tires I ever had.
No downside except for cost.
On a high end car where comfort and high-performance are equally important there is no other way to go.
No one who gets PS2's for street use is anything less than blown away.
We all know there are better track oriented tires.

I honestly woud get a set of PS2's for the V myself, but I scored a spare set of new F1's on ebay.
Aside from that, if I was to go away from F1's, it would be for Potenza RE-01R.

I have a theory on the F1 tire wear.
I was noticing heavy outer edge tire wear.
I now run -1.5 deg camber and zero toe, which is guaranteed to improve tire life by providing more even wear.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the follow up. I may have to go with the PS2s given that recommendation. I have a very similar alignment on my V. The work on the car was performed by Dynocomp in Scottsdale. As you have a Subie, you may be familiar with some of the owner's( Richard Garcia) WRX and STi cars which have run in Time attacks in SoCal and done very well. You may like their website-www.dynocomp.com They worked on my V, my Cooper S, my wife's SLK32(they have a Renntech outlet as well) and my 64 Corvair Monza coupe(family handme down). They do excellent work and stand by it should any problems arise. Again, thanks for the recommendation.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator

I got less than 12k out of my Supercar tires. Had 2 of them replaced because they were defective and were separating causing horrible vibration. I went to BFGoodrich KDW2's from Discount and loved them. The car was repurchased under the lemon law before I got to many miles on these tires.

2005 CTS-V - repurchased by GM as a lemon
2006 Corvette Coupe
1999 Corvette Fixed Roof Coupe
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/

Install a wide band oxygen sensor in place of a stock sensor:
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/wbo2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSB1684809
Notice: Vehicle component durability is greatly influenced by these driver abuses. Driving in this manner is not recommended.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:07 AM

AZ, I'm fairly certian you will be happy with the PS2's.
Another plus is that they save 5lb of unsprung weight per wheel.

I heard a lot of good things about Dynocomp.
I was recently talking to them about an APS Turbo upgrade.
According to APS, they Dynocomp is very large APS distributor.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 02:15 PM

Wink new tires

[I have 21000 on my 2006 CTS-V rotated every 3000 miles and tire pressures at 30 all around. Still about 3000 miles left and has been on track for several hot laps.
I am now looking to replace them soon. I have Potenza's on my 360 and are happy so will go with them unless someone has a better idea.
Buzz
K&N,Corsa,flashed computer and waiting for UUC short shifter
360 Ferrari
2005 Harley Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in