Tires - Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smile Tires

Hello, everyone . . . we have a 2004 CTS-V purchased used from, of all places, a Lexus dealership. 14,000 miles at the time, likely on its second set of F1 Supercar EMT's. Current tires shot, no big deal . . . we really want to keep runflats, so should we go with same Supercar EMT'S, or go with the RS-A's or perhaps Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A runflats? I know that most people probably go to non-runflat Eagle GS D3's, which I had on my Mustang Cobra, great tires! Or maybe Pilot Sports. I really want a runflat. Any suggestions? Also plan to refinish scuffed wheels. Anyway, I know tire discussions are common, but I would appreciate any help with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:34 AM
Administrator

You might consider the Michelin Pilot Sport series of run flat tires. I believe these are a popular choice by the Corvette guys for reduced road noise as well as longevity. Personally, I replaced my V tires with BFGoodrich KDW2 tires and loved them. I understand the need for run flats though. Please let us know what you choose and how you like them!

2005 CTS-V - repurchased by GM as a lemon
2006 Corvette Coupe
1999 Corvette Fixed Roof Coupe
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/

Install a wide band oxygen sensor in place of a stock sensor:
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/wbo2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSB1684809
Notice: Vehicle component durability is greatly influenced by these driver abuses. Driving in this manner is not recommended.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 04:16 PM

I used my first set of GY F1 tires up in 12000 miles. These tires are expensive and 12000 miles is just too short of a life span.

Since I was installing a set of custom 19" Forgeline wheels, I got a good buy on a set of Toyo T1R's (with a set a wheels but that's another story).

It is amazing the difference a set of tires can make. Where the F1's were:
  • Extremely Responsive
  • Very Predictable
  • Not to be Trusted in the Rain (forget snow)

The T1R's are:
  • Substantially slower in response
  • Not Predictable
  • Softer in ride
  • Great in the rain (I never drive in the rain, unless the weather man lied)

Consider this, my T1R's have a shorter side wall (because of my 19" wheels), and are wider. The T1R wallow, where the F1 will not. I made some quick transistion with the T1R's and my stablity control engaged...it never did that with the F1's

The jist is, stay with any of the run flats. The stiffer side walls give a lot better feel when you press the car. If you need a soft ride or you drive in the rain or snow go with something like the GY RS-A runflat.

Last edited by Geno; 10-11-2006 at 04:26 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno

The jist is, stay with any of the run flats. The stiffer side walls give a lot better feel when you press the car. If you need a soft ride or you drive in the rain or snow go with something like the GY RS-A runflat.

I have been running my Corvette on the road course for four years. The first time I ran with the stock runflats I understood why they call them runcraps. When you "press the car" the runflats will break loose sooner than the non-runflats. I went with GS-D3's on the V and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's on the Vette.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by 50 4Ever; 10-16-2006 at 12:45 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:36 AM
Administrator

GS-D3 tires are not available as EMT. They are not run flats but they are excellent tires. I'm considering trying the PS2's on my Vette just to see how they compare to the D3's.

2006 Corvette Coupe

Quote:
Notice: Vehicle component durability is greatly influenced by these driver abuses. Driving in this manner is not recommended.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 02:41 PM

There really aren't many options in the original tire size that are run flat. If you get bigger wheels or are ok with going a bit bigger or smaller you have more options! For exI think some of the Michelin Pilot series ZP(Zero Pressure)'s would make good run flat alternatives to the Goodyear's or Bridgestone's, but there are no exact matches. As far as non runflats I would highly recommend Falken FK-452's! Never used that particular model of Falken, but have used another FK and used to work in a tire shop. Falkens are the best performance tire value out there IMHO. They last well, grip well(wet or dry), and even look very nice, all at very low prices usually.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 11:00 AM

I just realized a good michelin tire setup for the V that gets you rear runflats if you are OK going wider in the rear. Michelin make a 275/40/18 Pilot Sport A/S as the OEM all season ZP(Zero Pressure) tire for Corvettes. Vettes have 17's up front though so I do not believe there is a Michelin ZP that will fit up front, but you can get the same pilot sport A/S in stock size up front. BTW the overall diameter of a 275/40/18 just happens to be only .2" less diameter than stock so is almost a perfect width increase for rear tires as it will not affect speedometer readings. Anyhow, only pointing this out because I have always found Michelins tend to be more expensive for good reason. They will last longer while performing better than similar tires usually.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchredfrc
GS-D3 tires are not available as EMT. They are not run flats but they are excellent tires. I'm considering trying the PS2's on my Vette just to see how they compare to the D3's.
GS-D3's ARE available in both non-runflat and runflat versions. The 245/45/18 only come in the non runflat version. There is a 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 in a GS-D3 EMT ----> Read This.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
GS-D3's ARE available in both non-runflat and runflat versions. The 245/45/18 only come in the non runflat version. There is a 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 in a GS-D3 EMT ----> Read This.

I stand corrected.

At the time when I purchased the GS-D3's on the Corvette I don't think they were available in a run flat. Good to know!

2006 Corvette Coupe

Quote:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 06:10 PM

I think the run flats have their place, but after driving on them for 1100 miles yesterday I've decided their place ain't on my car. Noisy and rough ridin.

Who can afford 19" performance tires? I was interested in doing 19" wheels until the tire costs changed my mind.

I've been running Fuzions on my Impala SS for over a year, 275-40-17's, and I am EXTREMELY happy with their perfomance on the highway, in the rain and around town. The have the highest speed rating and score an A on treadwear. Much better than the KW's.

Anyone have a proven winter tire package they're runnin? I need to do something very soon.

Gene Zebley, a.k.a. Boilermaker '96 Impala SS "Black Sunshine" 383 LT1 Twin Turbo
Daily Driver 12 second 1/4's while burnin' pistons YEHAAAA!!!
Home of the DeepSouthSS Boyz <<Click here to check us out!!

2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray (unmodded)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in