User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Run Flats for CTS-V

Hi,

Just got a V. I was wondering if most of you replace the original run-flats with normal tires or put run-flats back on the car? I know there is no spare and if you do put normal tires on the car do you just chance it not having a spare?

Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Administrator

You might check with your auto insurance and see if they offer road side assistance with towing. If not, AAA is a life saver for the occasion when you lose a non-runflat tire. At 11,000 miles my runflat tires were showing their cords so I replaced them with a non-runflat BF Goodrich g-Force KD tire. The BFG tire was 100% better than the stock Goodyear supercar tire & I would highly recommend it. The only problem with running a non-runflat is that when it happens, you really need to not be stuck. Get AAA or roadside assistance for added piece of mind if you go the non runflat route.

2005 CTS-V - repurchased by GM as a lemon
2006 Corvette Coupe
1999 Corvette Fixed Roof Coupe
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/

Install a wide band oxygen sensor in place of a stock sensor:
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/wbo2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSB1684809
Notice: Vehicle component durability is greatly influenced by these driver abuses. Driving in this manner is not recommended.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 08:13 PM

Run Flats

Just rotated tires at 11000 miles 60% tread left. Proper inflation checked weekly and minimal burn outs should get 15000 or better.

Use a great product in tranny makes it shift like butter. Also engine has same stuff. 21 mpg on road.
Buzz

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:37 PM

It depends on where you live to some extent. I live in Tucson and drive across country (MILES of open space and no one who ever heard of AAA), so I just replaced my OEM tires with different Goodyear RF tires. Handling/performance are fine and I don't have to worry about not having a spare.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 03:48 PM

Tires

Any trouble fitting tyres to run flat rims as I will replace with a High Performance tyres when the time comes.
Buzz
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Carpe dm,

What other Run Flats does Goodyear make? I've looked but couldnt find any. Are they cheaper than the originals?

Thanks.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 05:20 PM

I replaced my runflats with GY GS-D3's, non-runflats. I carry a small compressor and a plug kit for those times that AAA is not an option. On long trips I also carry a can of fix-a-flat, it will ruin the sensor but I would rather ruin that than be stuck in some remote area for a long time.

I also have a Corvette and I am running non-runflats on it also (Michelin PS2's). Of all the years I have been driving I have never had to put a spare on. I have picked up several screws through the years and have always been able to drive to a tire store to get it fixed, sometimes days after I noticed the screw.

Do what ever makes you feel comfortable.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
I replaced my runflats with GY GS-D3's, non-runflats. I carry a small compressor and a plug kit for those times that AAA is not an option. On long trips I also carry a can of fix-a-flat, it will ruin the sensor but I would rather ruin that than be stuck in some remote area for a long time.

I also have a Corvette and I am running non-runflats on it also (Michelin PS2's). Of all the years I have been driving I have never had to put a spare on. I have picked up several screws through the years and have always been able to drive to a tire store to get it fixed, sometimes days after I noticed the screw.

Do what ever makes you feel comfortable.

Great info. Thanks bro!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 PM

I don't think run-flats are necessary even with the smaller trunk. As much as I don't care for it more and more cars are being sold without run flats and without any spare tire what-so-ever.

Everyone has a cell phone and I couldn't tell you the last time I have actually witnessed someone pulled over changing a tire. People just call a tow truck and get it towed to the tire shop for the fix.

"GET ER DONE"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in