Cts-v as first car? smart or not? - Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cts-v as first car? smart or not?

well im turning 17 in 2months, and i plan on geting a cts-v....fast cars run in my family my big bro had a roush mustang stage 3 and now he has a 2006 corvette...i always wanted a fast car, my dad said it was ok to get a cts-v as my first car, i was just wondering for ppl who have driven this car, is it hard to controle, or would it be hard to learn how to drive stick shift on it, any other advise on the car involeing this please tell.

thank you

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bma89
well im turning 17 in 2months, and i plan on geting a cts-v....fast cars run in my family my big bro had a roush mustang stage 3 and now he has a 2006 corvette...i always wanted a fast car, my dad said it was ok to get a cts-v as my first car, i was just wondering for ppl who have driven this car, is it hard to controle, or would it be hard to learn how to drive stick shift on it, any other advise on the car involeing this please tell.

thank you

Ben
I would not buy this car if it was my first. First off you have very little experience driving. Find a decent car with a manual transmission with rear wheel drive and get used to the way it drives, corners and accelerates. Then go to a driving school. Then consider driving a V. The V has alot of power and even those of us with tons of experience have easily driven this car off road or into the center divider.

Good luck, Rock
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracerx72
I would not buy this car if it was my first. First off you have very little experience driving. Find a decent car with a manual transmission with rear wheel drive and get used to the way it drives, corners and accelerates. Then go to a driving school. Then consider driving a V. The V has alot of power and even those of us with tons of experience have easily driven this car off road or into the center divider.

Good luck, Rock
See pic. I have another one but it was too big to download.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image043.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	192  

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 09:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to CMNTMXR57
I wouldn't. I'd personally recommend a Cavalier/Cobalt or something a little tamed down until you actually have a few years of driving experience under your belt.

I don't care how many fast cars have been in your family. What it boils down to is YOUR driving experience (or lack thereof) and a high powered vehicle put together. That just spells trouble.

Since your father would buy you the car most likely (since it's my guess you don't have $35-40k laying around for a used one, let alone $50k for a new one at 17 y/o), that insurance is also covered by him. However, I have to question any father that would willfully put a car of this level into his childs' hands. At least not without many years of experience with a vehicle of this caliber.

Sorry if I sound down and/or mean. But statistics don't play in your favor!

Toys:
2006 Light Platinum Metallic Cadillac STS-V 412 rwhp & 472 ft/lbs of torque
2004 Impulse Blue Metallic M6 Pontiac GTO 415 rwhp & 405 ft/lbs of torque

Daily Driver's/Utility vehicles subject to natures rath:
1999 Sunset Gold Metallic Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4
2009 Victory Red Chevrolet Impala SS
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited

Last edited by CMNTMXR57; 02-27-2006 at 09:04 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 04:47 PM

I remember what I was like when I was 17 years old. I drove an '87 Nissan Maxima like the irresponsible teenager that I was----> like a bat out of hell.

I think it's way too much power as a first car.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Administrator

I agree with Mr. T and the how I was at 17 statement. I had a Firebird with the LT1. I drove way to aggressivly and was very lucky I was not involved in more accidents. It was a automatic as well... I wish I would have started on a V6 Camaro with the manual transmission. The lack of experience coupled with the wheel hop of the V could very well spell trouble.

2005 CTS-V - repurchased by GM as a lemon
2006 Corvette Coupe
1999 Corvette Fixed Roof Coupe
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/

Install a wide band oxygen sensor in place of a stock sensor:
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/wbo2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSB1684809
Notice: Vehicle component durability is greatly influenced by these driver abuses. Driving in this manner is not recommended.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 12:53 PM

I don't see anything wrong with getting the CTS-V as a first car, but before you make the decision I would advise you to attend an intense Advanced Driving School like Spring Mountain. Click here to see their website. You drive their Corvettes and this will teach you how to handle a high performance car. This is an intense 3-day program that will wear you out. When I took the class in 2002 there was a 17 year old guy in the class, he just bought a Camaro SS and his mother insisted that he go to the school. This class will let you explore your driving limits as well as the limits of a high performance car. I will tell you that it is very improbable for you to drive the Corvette at its limits, you will exceed your driving limits first. And it is very important to know your limits so you can improve.

You can get into trouble so quick and if you don't respond properly, bad things can happen.

Watch this clip to see what I mean ---> click here.

When the rear came out on the guy, he counter steered, as he should have. But when he thought he was in trouble he jammed on the brakes, which caused him to lose it. If he would have given it a little more gas instead of hitting the brakes he probably could have saved it.

Enjoy what ever car you finally get.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 01:42 PM

Agree with above assessments. Put at least 50k miles under your belt before you consider this car again.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:22 AM

I think you should buy it, everyone told me the same thing when I was buying my first motorcycle I didn't listen and bought a 1100 Katana. I learned respect and had a blast you can crash any car regardless of engine size.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 12:10 AM

well... i am 20 years old and just got a cts v and honestly it is one hell of a powerful car. My first car was a 99 bmw m3 convertible and it was still too fast for a first car... fun as hell, but still powerful for a young kid such as myself. ANyways from there i went to a mb clk 500, very fast, lots and lots of electronic nannies that keopt me from getting myself into too much trouble on many on occasion. i'd say even that car was to powerful for me even with more experience under my belt. Then it came to today when i just got my cts v... if you are smart, i'd go with something less expnsive, manual, rearwheel drive with less power for now. i have 4 years of driving experience now, all with what i think everyone would consider powerful cars and i truly think it'd be wisest to get something less powerful for a first car, say a bmw 330ci or 330i with the zhp performance package. its not a slow car, looks very nice, and is tons of fun to drive. the cts v is a blast... just i dont think it'd be smart to start off with something like that. either way, good luck.... and by the way to anyone else out there who has a cts v... i got mine for 48,000 brand new... what did u guys pay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in