Clutch Problems? - Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clutch Problems?

Have any CTS-V owners experienced premature clutch failure?

My 2004 CTS-V currently has a little over 16,000 miles and was brought to the shop this week due to difficulty getting the car into reverse. My suspicions were confirmed when the dealership let me know that the clutch was worn. Much to my dismay, they are claiming that my "aggressive" driving has led to this failure and it is my responsibility to pay for the repair.

First off, I baby this car on a regular basis and, secondly, the car is built and advertised as a performance vehicle that should be capable of handling "spirited" driving.

Has anyone else had experience with premature wear and was the fix covered under warranty? I would understand having to fix the clutch at 60,000 miles, but 16,000 miles seems ridiculous. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

I'm going to send you a PM bimmer4life...

You should speak to the dealer service manager directly. If you don't get this covered under warrenty from him then I would highly recommend you contact the Cadillac customer service center at 1-866-942-4368.

2005 CTS-V - repurchased by GM as a lemon
2006 Corvette Coupe
1999 Corvette Fixed Roof Coupe
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/

Install a wide band oxygen sensor in place of a stock sensor:
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/wbo2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSB1684809
Notice: Vehicle component durability is greatly influenced by these driver abuses. Driving in this manner is not recommended.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 02:13 PM

yea they SHOULD cover that under warranty. i know of one V that came in and the clutch was replaced. i dont know if it was under warranty or not but i will find out when i go back to work.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 08:48 AM

I am having the same problems with my 2005 CTS-V... mine only has 12k miles...I have just scheduled it to get it serviced so I will see what they say...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 01:48 PM

There are ALOT of CTS-V owners that have this problem. I don't think this issue has anything to do with the clutch. Take your baby somewhere else. These guys are assholes for telling you its your fault for your "aggressive" driving. I am just waiting for someone to tell me that. I am 99.9% sure it is not your clutch.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 06:53 PM

I had a similar problem with my 05 CTS-V with 10K miles. Took it into the dealer and told them about the problem (had difficulty getting shifting it into Reverse. This is what was written on the workorder after I got my car back...

"ck trans is hard to shift into reverse. complaint verified. inspect shifter asy operation inspect with shop foreman and contact TAC. verified reverse syncronizer problem. remove trans and tear down for inspection. verified syncronizer and block binding upon reverse application and spring wave washer ground down and grooved. sop rev speed gear, sync and sync blocker, wave washer and retainer. received SOP parts and rebuild trans complete. ...'.

Problem seems to be gone now.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's input. I finally got my car back on Friday (four and a half days to fix the problem) with a new clutch replacement covered under warranty. While I am definitely excited to have the car back better than before and no money out of my pocket, I am still frustrated that I even had to go through all of these avenues (discussion with the dealership, call into Cadillac, work with a Client Service Manager).

On a side note, the ease with which the clutch and gears now engage just serves as further proof that there were serious issues with my clutch even before it reached the point where reverse would not engage.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
I had a similar problem with my 05 CTS-V with 10K miles. Took it into the dealer and told them about the problem (had difficulty getting shifting it into Reverse. This is what was written on the workorder after I got my car back...

"ck trans is hard to shift into reverse. complaint verified. inspect shifter asy operation inspect with shop foreman and contact TAC. verified reverse syncronizer problem. remove trans and tear down for inspection. verified syncronizer and block binding upon reverse application and spring wave washer ground down and grooved. sop rev speed gear, sync and sync blocker, wave washer and retainer. received SOP parts and rebuild trans complete. ...'.

Problem seems to be gone now.

Wow, they really did a lot to fix your problem.

2006 Corvette Coupe

Quote:
Notice: Vehicle component durability is greatly influenced by these driver abuses. Driving in this manner is not recommended.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life
Thanks for everyone's input. I finally got my car back on Friday (four and a half days to fix the problem) with a new clutch replacement covered under warranty. While I am definitely excited to have the car back better than before and no money out of my pocket, I am still frustrated that I even had to go through all of these avenues (discussion with the dealership, call into Cadillac, work with a Client Service Manager).

On a side note, the ease with which the clutch and gears now engage just serves as further proof that there were serious issues with my clutch even before it reached the point where reverse would not engage.
I'm glad to hear they took care of you. I just got a letter from Cadillac Customer Service advising me that they were done with me and I should contact the BBB if I wanted to pursue the matter further.

2006 Corvette Coupe

Quote:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 10:16 AM

my cts-v is getting a new clutch today....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in