Replacement tires - Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Replacement tires

I am going to purchase an 05 CTS-V by month end. The dealer warned me that the tires won't last more than 10K miles. I live in an area that gets snow so I routinely will change rims/tires to snow tires in the fall and take them off in spring. I do alot of business driving so I am thinking about an all weather tire as a substitute for the summer tires. Any suggestions or experience here? Tire Rack has a bunch of all weather tires that would fit but what are the pros and cons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 08:55 PM

Cant offer much advice in the direction you are going Bob, however, I can say that for performance tires, this is what I plan to go with very shortly:

Nitto Drag Radial in 285/35 18

285/35 ZR18 97Y 5.0 25.91 11.22 9.5-(10.0)-11.0 [email protected] 802

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:19 AM

I put Firestones on my Corvette and was very happy with them. Michelin and Goodyear both offer high rated, all season tires. I would go with Goodyear if it were mine.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 05:24 PM

Here is a good link.

Tire options

I hope it helps.

T.M.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 07:59 PM

Very good information, if the Nitto DR's dont work out for me, the S03's look like a good option.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 06:33 AM

Run Flat?

Howdy,

Noob here, but can I ask a question? What about the run flat feature? Do replacement non-OEM tires offer this? I think it is important as there is no spare.

CT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 05:22 PM

Most tires do not offer the run-flat feature, unless noted in the product description.

While it is handy from the blowout standpoint, they are generally much heavier and affect the performance. So there are good reasons to go with a performance tire as well.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 01:48 AM
rgd

I just put Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3
They handle great on wet and dry roads.
Not a good snow tire though.
Sorry, no help to the person who started thread.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 05:12 PM

I just bought my CTS V last Thursday. I have heard that the stock tires last anywhere from 7k to 17k, usually around 12k.

I have a question. If you go to "regular" tires, can you still use the tire pressure monitor system? Otherwise you would have the stupid idiot light staying on. What are the spare options?

I live in Utah where you can still get a decent snow storm as late as April or early as September. That is in the valley. I'm considering the Mich Pilot A/S. Still a very capable performance tire with all season capability. I may also buy winter tires for Nov-Mar.

I love the EMT safety feature and the tire pressure monitoring system. Just not the tread life for a $300 tire. If you race your car or drive it real hard, 10k sounds about right. Otherwise, I believe it should last at least 20k.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Tire pressure monitoring system will work no matter what kind of tire you use. You can not use fix flat type goos if you do get a flat with the monitoring system though as you will mess up the sensor. The most important issue to consider the sensors with is when purchasing new rims. The rims you purchase must accept the pressure sensors either directly or using band clamps.

If you chose to abandon the tpm system as a whole, you can use hptuners to disable the dash light error.

I prefer the GS D3 tire. I switched from a run flat to a non run flat and was amazed at the difference in both handeling and road noise (this was on a corvette which is obviously not as well insulated as the caddy). The life of this tire has been more than acceptable. I've gotten 15-20k out of them, the rears are looking pretty low on tread but are in no immediate danger for replacement. I have also received a small puncture in one of my tires which caused a leak. This can be a hassle with a non runflat but as long as you get it taken care of asap you'll be back up and running in no time flat. No pun intended. The run flats were definatly a lot more convient when punctures happened. Only problem with them is that you can not visibly see if a tire is low on air and must completely rely on the tpm system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in