Standard CTS center console armrest - Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Standard CTS center console armrest

Hey guys. I was just wanting to post about my switch to a standard CTS armrest in my V. This is the first mod I did as my used V's armrest was already broken. Got to investigating it and there is a guy in Iowa with a site(Black CTS-V ) who had done just this. I decided that is what I wanted to do also since he was claiming the standard CTS one is stronger. Also, it has an extra storage compartment and comes up higher which I figured were both improvements, particularly if you have drinks in the cup holders. I didn't buy a new armrest as he did, but a whole center console from e-bay as that was cheaper. The deal I found on e-bay was a gray one, so I painted the plastic bits and had a local upholstry shop match the CTS-V's original pleather and stitching. It looks pretty stock now unless you know the car. I will post pictures later probably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasaero
Hey guys. I was just wanting to post about my switch to a standard CTS armrest in my V. This is the first mod I did as my used V's armrest was already broken. Got to investigating it and there is a guy in Iowa with a site(Black CTS-V ) who had done just this. I decided that is what I wanted to do also since he was claiming the standard CTS one is stronger. Also, it has an extra storage compartment and comes up higher which I figured were both improvements, particularly if you have drinks in the cup holders. I didn't buy a new armrest as he did, but a whole center console from e-bay as that was cheaper. The deal I found on e-bay was a gray one, so I painted the plastic bits and had a local upholstry shop match the CTS-V's original pleather and stitching. It looks pretty stock now unless you know the car. I will post pictures later probably.

Please do post pics. This is something I really wanted to do. The V's arm rest is really cheesy.

2005 CTS-V - repurchased by GM as a lemon
2006 Corvette Coupe
1999 Corvette Fixed Roof Coupe
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/

Install a wide band oxygen sensor in place of a stock sensor:
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/wbo2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSB1684809
Notice: Vehicle component durability is greatly influenced by these driver abuses. Driving in this manner is not recommended.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I'll try to get pictures taken this weekend. It wasn't too hard and using ebay saved me money even after I payed the upholtery peeps and got the stuffs to paint the plastic bits.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Here's the pictures

The plastic pieces I painted look a lot darker under the camera's flash compared to the other stuff than they do in person under normal lighting. If you find a black console to get reupholstered though I doubt you would have that issue. Mine was grey and the black paint is just a bit darker and I guess a lot darker under a camera flash. You can see though that the grey stitched custome upholstery matches quite well even under a flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7605small.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7604small.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7603small.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	205  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 08:51 PM

Looking good!!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Nice job! I'm honestly suprised Cadillac didn't put this arm rest in the V stock.

2006 Corvette Coupe

Quote:
Notice: Vehicle component durability is greatly influenced by these driver abuses. Driving in this manner is not recommended.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Yeah. I can kinda understanding putting a slimmer and lower armrest without a cavity to leave more room for your elbow while shifting aggressively. The fact the V's armrest is far less durable is what I don't understand. It is really sad just how horribly designed that armrest is if you take it appart. It has a big strong aluminum arm, but a thin plastic plate with four little screw points and and no stiffeners between the screw points hold your elbow up. When I first took it appart I kinda had this, "What were they thinking?" thought in my head! I go my V used and two of the screw points had already been broken off the plate. If that had screwed the aluminum arm to the plastic part that holds the padding and upholstry it would hold my whole body weight!! My only guess is they figured peeps wouldn't break it until it was out of warranty and it would be a good replacement part money maker??
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Mine broke & was replaced under warrenty. Odd thing with mine was that the plastic under side was creacked pretty bad when it broke as well as the pivot point. Normal everyday use too.

2006 Corvette Coupe

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in