Run Flats or not Run Flats, that is the question! - Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Run Flats or not Run Flats, that is the question!

All:

I am guessing most everyone is experiencing similar issues as I am when it comes to making a decision regarding the second/third/fourth set of tires for their car.

I am in need of replacing my OEM F1's at 9,500 miles. The OEM GoodYear F1 Supercar Run Flat (RF) tires are available on TireRack for $349/each. Ouch. The only other options are Bridgestone Potenza's and Dunlop Sport DSST tires. Both the Potenza's and Dunlops do not fair well in a comparo done by Car and Driver in December, and of course we can't have that now can we? That leaves me with re-purchasing the OEM's or making the move away from run-flat tires.

The move away from RF tires requires about $150 in dealer parts (per the Cadillac FAQ instructions, which I also confirmed) and about $300 for a replacement rim (refurbished CTS-V rims are available in the internet thanks to some poor sole who's ambitions outweighed their driving skills). Non-RF Maximum and Ultra performance tires that fit the Cadillac V wheels (245/45/18) and performed well in the Car and Driver test include:

1) Goodyear F1 GS-D3 (Hard to get)
2) Michelin Pilot Sport
3) Bridgestone Pole Position (being discontinued by Bridgestone)
4) Continental Conti-Sport Contact - Finished well in C&D test but commentary was not kind.

Anyone have any related experiences to share before I make the decision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:52 PM

I have not heard of the extra parts and rims required when you go to non run flats, I've never looked into it.

On my '03 Corvette I replaced the run craps with non run flats, the F1 Supercar's (265/40-17 fronts and 295/35-18 rears). Excellent tires. When those were used up I put on Michelin PS2's. In my opinion they are not worth the extra money and they run hotter and the sidewalls are harder and the tread compound is a lot softer.

Going to non run flats on the Corvette was as simple as changing tires. No extra parts needed.

Hope this helps a little.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 06:21 AM
Administrator

I don't understand why you would need extra parts for going non run flat. I changed the Corvette run flat tires with GS-D3 (non run flats) tires and I love them. I still run my factory pressure sensors and use the same rim. The only downfall is that I have had a pretty bad blow out & it was nice that I had a spare rim & tire at home. I don't keep a spare in the car though.

Can you post info on these "parts" you would require to go to a non run flat? I suspect the suggested parts are just a plug & inflator kit for fixing small holes on the side of the road.

2005 CTS-V - repurchased by GM as a lemon
2006 Corvette Coupe
1999 Corvette Fixed Roof Coupe
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/

Install a wide band oxygen sensor in place of a stock sensor:
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/wbo2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSB1684809
Notice: Vehicle component durability is greatly influenced by these driver abuses. Driving in this manner is not recommended.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 09:19 AM

I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Mostly because of the 400 treadwear rating. ....but we all know that number is useless if you have a lead foot
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Forget the Cost

All:

The parts were associated with buying the jack and other parts related to storing it in my trunk. However, the main question is regarding the tires others have put on their V's.

Thanks for the replies.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:44 PM

I purchased a rim as a spare in case of catastrophic tire failure. and I am going to get a jack and such for the car soon. For a spare I am just using a bald run flat tire that was left over from a recent new tire purchase. I have not gone to non-run flats yet, but may do so next time round. the extra wheel was a start towards that thought, but also in case of that rare bad tire issues in the middle of nowhere, so as to get rid of the long wait for a tow truck to come rescue me, and or my wife with a newborn baby.

Charlie

2005 Burgundy CTS-V
Tucson, AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in