Cadillac CTS-V Vs. Chrysler 300C SRT-8 - Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cadillac CTS-V Vs. Chrysler 300C SRT-8

Cadillac versus Chrysler, I knew it was only a matter of time. So the question is overall, what do you think is better, as far as price, performance, looks, and overall a better vehicle.
300C SRT-8
6.1L V8
5sp Auto
[email protected]@6200
[email protected]
14/19 mpg
4160lbs
$39,370

CTS-V
5.7L V8
6sp Manual
[email protected]
[email protected]
16/25 Mpg
3850 lbs
$49,490
I know itís a tough one especially since the SRT-8 is not even out yet, But it does have very high expectations. I personally can not wait to see what the SRT-8 can do. The CTS-V has a very nice fit and finish, where as a normal 300C felt a bit sub par as far as quality goes in my opinion. The price I believe is the biggest deciding factor, for those who own a CTS-V would you have waited for the SRT-8 and spent about $10,000 dollars less? I have heard from insiders that the SRT-8 will run 12ís stock! That is very impressive, well please tell me what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckStar
Cadillac versus Chrysler, I knew it was only a matter of time. So the question is overall, what do you think is better, as far as price, performance, looks, and overall a better vehicle.
300C SRT-8
6.1L V8
5sp Auto
[email protected]@6200
[email protected]
14/19 mpg
4160lbs
$39,370

CTS-V
5.7L V8
6sp Manual
[email protected]
[email protected]
16/25 Mpg
3850 lbs
$49,490
I know itís a tough one especially since the SRT-8 is not even out yet, But it does have very high expectations. I personally can not wait to see what the SRT-8 can do. The CTS-V has a very nice fit and finish, where as a normal 300C felt a bit sub par as far as quality goes in my opinion. The price I believe is the biggest deciding factor, for those who own a CTS-V would you have waited for the SRT-8 and spent about $10,000 dollars less? I have heard from insiders that the SRT-8 will run 12ís stock! That is very impressive, well please tell me what you think.
I wouldnt expect that, the 05 GTO is rumored to do that, with 25 less HP but it only weighs 3790 LBS, so even with 25more HP I dont thinkt he SRT can hit 12s with its MASSIVE weight.

Even then one is a chrysler and the other a Cadillac...Caddi is more the BMW type, where Chrysler is more of a Buick. There may be some cross shopping but the CTSV is a far better car for the money.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

There are stock 300c's running 13.8 13.9, you dont think that a car that has 85 more hp can run high 12's. It will be close. I dont see the comparison between Chrysler and Buick, Chrysler has one of the most exciting vehicle line ups in todays market. A luxury car with 425hp for 40 grand not that bad a deal.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 01:37 PM

I have to agree as well. I will be highly disappointed if the SRT-8 does not run 12.9's from the factory under good conditions. I think it is in direct competition with the CTS-V.

The luxury sports sedan wars are on.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 10:37 PM

I just dont see the SRT hitting 12s. Not with its massive weight. The GTO is estimated to do a 13.0, probably 12s with a good driver, but add on 3-400 more LBS and only 25 more Hp and I don't see it happening. IMO DCX should have worked on getting the weight down instead of just dropping in a huge engine.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:19 AM

If you truely think you can compare a chrysler product to that of a GM or Caddi than I am not going to even try to explain the difference to you! Keep us posted as to how many trans you have replaced and the lack of percision in the interior details.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:54 AM

Nocturn: You forget that Chrysler's SRT division has been underestimating the power from the factory for some time. The SRT-4 was rated at 225hp and was putting that down _at the wheels_ bone stock from the factory.

Also, auto's are better for drag racing... a 5 speed automatic can be very consistent and makes launching much easier.

mjcnj: I'm not too worried about the transmission in the SRT-8 being able to hold up... after all, its the same 5 speed automatic that they put in the E55 AMG -- I dont see people going through those left and right. Same rear diff as well. This car is built on, essentially, the old Mercedes E-Class platform.

As far as precision and interior details, that remains to be seen in the long run. However, my CTS-V only has 900 miles on it, and its already been in for warranty work for a "creak" -- the hood latch was found to be faulty, and I am waiting on a replacement unit. So, manufacturing errors are not beyond even Cadillac.

Edit: The magazines that I've read show 13.1 for the CTS-V and 13.2 for the SRT-8 -- It is not beyond reasoning that someone at a track that hooks with good weather conditions could get the car to run into the 12's.. your talking about 2 tenths. Thats pretty easy to come by when there are factory freak cars running around.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 08:48 AM

Chrysler has always had the best design studio in the auto business. And the 300 is a great looking car / deal. However, I am a GM guy (for better or worse) and am very happy with my V. As an old Corvetter, I have tweaked the LS6, so my hp/trq figures are at the 427 number, with very little effort.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 01:29 PM

I'm not really even going to try to guess which one is "superior" if that determination can ever be made. However, once the car is released at least we'll have a few performance figures we can compare.

Either way, I think the CTS-V and the SRT-8 are awesome vehicles, and if I can swing things, I plan to own one of each

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 04:21 PM

I love manual transmissions, and so it'd be CTS-V hands down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in