Do Not Launch This Car... - Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do Not Launch This Car...

I have an 05 CTS-V and have broke my rear end twice trying to launch it. 1st time i did a few burn outs and left aboutt 25ft strips of rubber and the axels slammed in. Then i tried to launch the car at about 3500rpm and it had massive wheel hop and the differential split. I mean it just tore it apart. This car is not meant to launch. you can only feather it off the line and punch it. Take it from me i am still waiting for my car to be fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 04:20 AM

I was told not to launch it that high. Mallett told me when I picked mine up from them that I should rev to about 16-1700 rpm's then slip the clutch out.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 06:20 AM

I've been able to get the perfet launch on the street with no wheelhop and very good acceleration. I can only hope that I can duplicate it at the track.

It came from very light slippage, and tip in of throttle just off idle.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

lucky you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSVader
I was told not to launch it that high. Mallett told me when I picked mine up from them that I should rev to about 16-1700 rpm's then slip the clutch out.
i wish the dealership i bought it from would have told me that. this car doesnt launch like the average car. i am going to upgrade the rear suspension now.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 05:13 AM

Did you have any problems getting your dealership to warranty the car? I know some dealerships are terrible about covering things of that nature.
Well, any dealership in my area. My boss had a 2004 Yukon and the local GM dealership told him if he ever took it off-roading that they may not be able to warranty anything if it broke, basically he couldnt use it in 4x4 mode.
I think that there are alot of dealerships that make it seem like they do not want you to use the performance aspect of your vehicle, well I hope your dealership is not one of those, and you get your Caddy back soon.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 08:51 PM

Anytime there is axle hop you shouldn't keep doing it. Axle hop is terrible on your drivetrain and as shown can brake parts. So doing keep trying to hook when you can't. The best launch is not attainable by dropping the clutch, easing the clutch is the best thing to do, and if its to high an RPM than the wheels will spin and then hop. Wheelhop is never a good thing increasing the RPM isn't going get you less wheelhop either.

If you can't hook, than don't try to launch, go from a roll, or get better tires.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 04:32 AM

Launch at 1600 rpm, slip the clutch and nail the gas. Easy as pie.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts-v speedracer
i wish the dealership i bought it from would have told me that. this car doesnt launch like the average car. i am going to upgrade the rear suspension now.
What are you going to use to upgrade the rearend. Do you think it will be worth it. I have inquired about the BMR System.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:02 AM

I have contracted Getrag about getting steeper gears for the rear end (3.92's) but have not heard a response.

I also contacted Michael Weinberg @ RSGear.com about strengthening the rear end, and this is what he had to say:

Quote:
Hi John,

We have new CTS-V ratios in the design stage at present, but are probably 6 months away from production.

I spent all of last years racing season driving a CTS-V in competition for Powell Motorsports and GM. We developed the car for the Grand Am Cup series and SCCA T2. The wheel hop is generated by the 5 link rear and the damage to the diffs is a product of suspension problems and not the diff design. We did not experience any diff failures and our races are all 3 hours long or more. If you wish you can contact John Powell at jrpowell at ican.net and see if he will sell you the corrected set-up to deal with the wheel hop.

I am not sure that there are real gains to be had from a ratio change if you can't get the power to hook up to the ground.

Best regards,

Mike
I just kicked off an email to John and await his response.

edit: I've obfuscated his email address a bit so that spam traps dont pick it up.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekool
edit: I've obfuscated his email address a bit so that spam traps dont pick it up.
I thought that was immoral, fattening, or caused you to go blind.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in