CTS-V or STS-V? - Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CTS-V or STS-V?

I posted this in the CTS-V forum... think it might be better placed here.

So... I'm thinking about trading in my Altima SE-R for a true luxury performance sedan. I've mostly narrowed down my choices to the 2007 CTS-V or 2007 STS-V.

I'm looking for opinions as to which I should focus on buying. I love my manual transmission but the luxury goods on STS-V are tempting. I'd like to see a good comparison discussion get started.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 12:37 AM

CTSV vs STSV

If you are comparing the 07 CTS-v with the 07 STS-v then the STS-v wins handsdown. During the early naughts (2001-2005) Cadillac was making rapid progress in dynamically upgrading their vehicles - the structural underpinnings; the design, the fit and finish and the interiors. So there is a lot of difference between the 03 CTS and the 05 STS. The CTS came out before the Europe-born Bob Lutz had the opportunity to rally the troops and demand nothing less than the best designs and interior standards from his troops. It remains to be seen, now that he is gone, whether Cadillac will continue to reassert itself as the 'Standard of the World' or just go back to being a provincial US brand with very little appeal to global drivers in the same way that Lincoln has given up the ghost. I am not optimistic now that Government Motors is being run from DC and not Motown.

I own an 08 STS-v but I keep it garaged in Rome. It is a phenomenal vehicle and it really shines on twisty European highways at between 100-150 miles per hour. Once on the Civitavecchia-Rome highway I raced a German-plated Mercedes 500SL for approximately 40 kilometers. Each time he tried to pull away I moved up his rear bumper and flashed him to move over. When we slowed down for the tolls he flanked me and I could see from his expression he was completely confused. He must have been asking himself how a Cadillac could have bested him in top speed and acceleration. If you live Stateside I am not sure you will be able to push the speed envelope to the same extent we can in Europe where we can drive these cars at top speed for hours in Italy, Germany and Spain without worrying about distracted meandering drivers and surly cops with no sense of humor.

However, if you are asking me whether you should buy an 07 STSv or an 09 CTSv then buy the new CTSv. Like I said previously GM has made major progress in its Cadillac line until now. That may stop as we speak and the 09 CTSv will remain the apogee of a bygone era. If you want me to elaborate on the dynamic qualities of the STS-v then I can contact you directly to discuss. Let me know.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you veeeeery much for a detailed opinion! That's exactly the discussion I wished to start.

Yes, I am comparing the 07 model of both vehicles. I've been more aware of both non-V versions of the cars around me the last week and I think, as far as styling is concerned, the STS does win handsdown. For only about $5k(US) more on a used car, the STS looks like its the obvious choice.

How are the maintenance costs on your STS-V?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in