Product and Install Review: Creative Steel + UUC + Lingenfelter - Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up Product and Install Review: Creative Steel + UUC + Lingenfelter

I’m usually more of a lurker on this forum rather than a poster. That being said I wanted to write a well deserved review on my recent product purchases from Creative Steel and the UUC shifter I ordered from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. I was extremely pleased with my purchases and just wanted to do a shout out (even if this does drag out).

I intended on only doing the short throw and the shifter bushings for the obvious reasons that you guys all know. After some research on here I came to find out that a failing trans mount can also be the cause of not being able to find 1st and reverse. I figured since the trans was down id order the trans mount from creative steel and replace it. After i read the install on the shifter and I knew I would be removing the drive shaft I went ahead and ordered a new diff mount. Things got a little out of hand with ordering parts that night and the total mod list became:

Creative Steel Ultra Motor mounts (with the heat shields), Trans mount, Diff bushing, and their diff support block. UUC short throw shifter and the shifter bushings, and I ordered a Lingenfelter CAGS eliminator just because.
All three companies shipped my orders extremely fast. I spoke to Luke at Lindsay Cadillac and he was very helpful with my order. All the parts were extremely well crafted and offered a great value.

Now for the juicy details of the install on my 05 LS6 V: Now first off I want to state that I am not a mechanic, I do not get paid for my mechanical skills. However cars are a hobby for me and I have done many installs on cars ive owned and cars my friends have owned. All the mods ordered were installed on two consecutive Saturdays, with one hydraulic jack, four jack stands and an extra set of hands. (I’ll admit that my extra set of hands also supplied a giant air compressor and air tools; not required to do the job but extremely helpful.) Following the directions supplied by UUC; the shifter install was extremely straight forward no install issues at all. Installed in the car, shifting has improved 1,000Xs! All “shift gates” are found with ease offering a reassuring “click” into each gate as well as a positive feeling of movement from gear to gear. The trans mount was also installed at this time and after pulling the old trans mount out and placing them side by side I realized how collapsed my stock mount had become. With the trans mount installed I no longer have an issue of not being able to find 1st and reverse gears. During this time we also installed the Lingenfelter CAGS eliminator. It was a basic plug and play kit that uses the GM connectors. Super easy install and performs as it should. Next we moved onto tackling the diff mount. At the start I honestly didn’t know how bad the condition of my stock mount was. Upon dropping the differential we realized that my stock bushing was basically shredded. The inner rubber was hanging by a thread and I was able to pull it out of the outer metal ring with just my hand. I did not rent Creative Steels bushing puller so I cannot give a review on that. We were unable to get the outer metal ring out of the diff so we took a hack saw and cut it out. Next came inserting the diff mount and at this point I wish I would have rented the tool to use it to install the bushing. Getting the bushing in place was basically the worst job I have ever done on a car. Hammering the bushing into place basically mushroomed the end of it and the bolt would no longer go through it, requiring us to use a drill to true up the hole we wrecked. This is in no way a dis on the quality of the diff mount, just merely the stupidity of not using the proper tools for the job. With the bushing and the diff support block installed in the car the clunking id getting from the rear in at low speeds (in parking lots) has been completely eliminated. I read a lot on the forum about people experiencing an increase in diff whine, but over my aftermarket exhaust I cant hear any difference over stock. Driving at cruising speeds the car defiantly seems more planted in the rear. And my 1st-2nd gear changes offer a lovely chirp rather than the spatter of wheelhop.

The last install (saved for another day after the horrible diff mount install) was the ultra mounts. After watching the video online offered by creative steel the install was very straight forward. The only time we deviated was on the passenger side, We removed the starter unlike the video. It probably wasn’t necessary but it made pulling the mount out super easy and the starter was just two bolts. After removing the factory mounts we came to find that drivers side was torn pretty severely. Upon install there is quite a bit more vibrations upon start up and shut down and slightly more at about 1,200rpms when leaving a stop. However with all of that being said there is not much of an increase in vibrations at cruising speeds. I do feel like the front end now has a lot less unwanted weight transfer and a lot more confidence in corners. All mods were very tasteful and id highly recommended them to the V community!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in