Rear/Diff Failure - Please post details inside! - Page 4 - Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by talalhz
Oh man, the diff broke. GM will not fix it, they said go pound on sand.
Can you give us more details? Is your car modified in any way? Did you have the TSB for wheel hop done on your car? What year is it?

2005 CTS-V - repurchased by GM as a lemon
2006 Corvette Coupe
1999 Corvette Fixed Roof Coupe
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/

Install a wide band oxygen sensor in place of a stock sensor:
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/wbo2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSB1684809
Notice: Vehicle component durability is greatly influenced by these driver abuses. Driving in this manner is not recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 10:36 AM

Angry diff. issues....

My 2005 cts-v has had a diff replacement. I noticed the problem around 15,000 miles. The wining was between 30-50 mph. I did have some wheel hop on hard exceleration. I had the diff. replaced. I was told that there is a break-in period of 500 miles. It consisted of, no hard excel. and not to drive at the same speed for more that 10miles at a time. I did exactly that. I am going to bring the car in for the tech. to drive the car to prove that I am going to need a second diff. replacement. This time I drove the car easier overall. I did experience the car having a very slight wheel hop once when I pulled out into traffic from leaving a gas station. I quickly eased off the throttle to stop it. I first had the goodyear f1 tires on the car. I was able to get approx. 15 to 16,000 miles out of them. I have been told that was a lot. I now have some goodyear all season runflats on the car which softened the ride some but I lost some grip and performance. The second diff failure occured at around 1500miles after the first repair. Something really needs to be done! I love the car and always have but if this continues I will not keep it much longer. What a shame to produce such a nice car without having the kinks worked out.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 04:07 PM

So far so good as far as the diff is concerned. 3500 and counting until imminent failure

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 PM

Rear end failed

My 2006 CTS V with 23000 miles had the rear housing crack. This is a new one for me as I have never seen that on any car I have raced or owned. I don't beat on this car no burn outs as evidenced by 22500 miles out of first set of Goodyears. Replaced them with Bridgestone Pole Position. Dealer gets an A for having a new diff flown in from factory and installed in one day and loaned me a car. Ed Morse Cadillac in Delray Beach Fl.

Buzz
360 Ferrari Modena
2006 CTS-V
2005 Harley Ultra Glide
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 09:44 PM

It's good to know that there are sopme good Caddy dealerships out there.
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzduz74 View Post
My 2006 CTS V with 23000 miles had the rear housing crack. This is a new one for me as I have never seen that on any car I have raced or owned. I don't beat on this car no burn outs as evidenced by 22500 miles out of first set of Goodyears. Replaced them with Bridgestone Pole Position. Dealer gets an A for having a new diff flown in from factory and installed in one day and loaned me a car. Ed Morse Cadillac in Delray Beach Fl.

Buzz
360 Ferrari Modena
2006 CTS-V
2005 Harley Ultra Glide
I was under the impression they updated the bushings and what not in '06 to address the rear diff issue. Is this still a fairly big problem in '06+ models as well? I'm currently looking into an '06, dark red, 19k miles - they're asking $30K. Don't know too much about this car but I'm doing my homework now...
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 02:48 PM

Question Snapped bolt...

Whats up guys, first thread on this site, so hi I bought my 04 cts-v used back in march. 51,000 miles on it now. Im not having a diff failure, but a similar issue. There are two rear bolts holding the diff into the crossmember. The "passenger" side bolt snapped on me, and apparently this has happened before because the spare tire well has been dented in to replace the bolt (tight fit). All of the threads are stuck in the diff . So I have a replacement bolt, but i obviously need to drop down the entire diff to get the rest of the bolt out. Has anybody else had this issue? And yes, it snapped on a hard 1st-2nd gear shift...i was impressing a lady Im getting everything for the rear, because i know this job is going to be a bitch to do, so i dont want to do it twice. BMR antiwheel hop kit, trailing arms, toe rods, and pinion support. But for now, its down for the count until i move (bought a house, needs some remodeling). Back on track now, lol, ive thought about replacing those bolts with ARP bolts, but not sure if it is really necessary? Has anybody else snapped the bolts? What other upgrades are out there for the rear end? I dont want that thing to even think about moving, because i really enjoy 4th gear chirps
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:14 AM

If guys are still having isues with your pinions we offer a support for it that will help eliminate the diff movement. Here is a link to our site. If you have any questions or would like to order one please give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/CTS-Vpage.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PS001-small.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	233  
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 09:44 AM

For any member of v net I will give you a forum members discount if you place an order iwth me up until 10-23-2009 at 6pm est.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 AM

I purchased my 09 CTS-V on Jan 2, 2009. In June 09 I noticed a popping/clicking sound coming from the front/passenger side. Dealer removed wheel, cleaned rotor, wheel, etc. and sound disappeared. In Sep 09, a similar but louder sound started in the driver/front side - especially during turns at slower speeds. Dealer replaced front left rotor assembly - seemed to fix the problem. In Dec 09, both driver and passenger/front popping sound started during reverse out of parking space (left and right reversals). Dealer was able to replicate consistently but determined this to be 'normal condition for a limited slip differential as compared with another, like CTS-V" on the lot. Today (Jan 7, 2010), the front end pops loudly and the front end of the car 'hops' when reversing out of a parking space -- every time. I contacted my dealer on Jan 6 stating the condition is unacceptable and requires further communication with GM engineering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in