Rear/Diff Failure - Please post details inside! - Page 5 - Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdherman View Post
I purchased my 09 CTS-V on Jan 2, 2009. In June 09 I noticed a popping/clicking sound coming from the front/passenger side. Dealer removed wheel, cleaned rotor, wheel, etc. and sound disappeared. In Sep 09, a similar but louder sound started in the driver/front side - especially during turns at slower speeds. Dealer replaced front left rotor assembly - seemed to fix the problem. In Dec 09, both driver and passenger/front popping sound started during reverse out of parking space (left and right reversals). Dealer was able to replicate consistently but determined this to be 'normal condition for a limited slip differential as compared with another, like CTS-V" on the lot. Today (Jan 7, 2010), the front end pops loudly and the front end of the car 'hops' when reversing out of a parking space -- every time. I contacted my dealer on Jan 6 stating the condition is unacceptable and requires further communication with GM engineering.
Wow that doesn't sound good at all. Best of luck getting GM to actually fix your issues.

2005 CTS-V - repurchased by GM as a lemon
2006 Corvette Coupe
1999 Corvette Fixed Roof Coupe
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/

Install a wide band oxygen sensor in place of a stock sensor:
http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/wbo2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSB1684809
Notice: Vehicle component durability is greatly influenced by these driver abuses. Driving in this manner is not recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 02:18 PM

destroyed a rear diff in the spring of 11. Hard wheelhop under hard excelleration (is there any other way with the first gen V's). Cracked the rear diff housing. Tires at 34 PSI. Driving off from blacktop onto concrete. I think that I had been thru 4-5 rear end brackets before finally losing the rear end. Also had two rear axle seals on the drivers side rear axle. I just traded it in on my 09 V which has none of the problems of the original V rear end. My first car was an 06 and had approx 60K on the clock before the rear failed. Loved the car but love the new one more!!
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchredfrc View Post
Wow that doesn't sound good at all. Best of luck getting GM to actually fix your issues.
I've had 3 V's in the last 3 years, 2011, 2012, and now a 2013. I experienced the very same thing on everyone of them. By the time the second one rolled around I had figured it out. It was loose lugnuts. The way I figured it was on the 2011 it stopped after I replaced the tires at 20K miles. I knew the tires were not capable of making the noise.

So when the 12 started ,making the noise I took it around to my shop guy and asked that he tighten the lugnuts, noise gone.

So now I'm on the 2013 and it has about 5K on it and it just started doing it and I plan on getting the lugnuts tightened again.

post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 06:47 AM

My 2012 had a roaring noise from day one. I took it to the dealer with a few K miles and they replaced the entire differential. They said GM wanted the entire unit sent back to them. So they didn't even open it up.

After the new unit was put in, it eventually started roaring again or at least I thought it did. It wasn't sure until my 2013 arrived that I realized the rearend on the 2012 had actually gotten very loud. By that time the 12 was at auction and had sold.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detro996 View Post
My 2012 had a roaring noise from day one. I took it to the dealer with a few K miles and they replaced the entire differential. They said GM wanted the entire unit sent back to them. So they didn't even open it up.

After the new unit was put in, it eventually started roaring again or at least I thought it did. It wasn't sure until my 2013 arrived that I realized the rearend on the 2012 had actually gotten very loud. By that time the 12 was at auction and had sold.
detro996,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. How is your 2013 performing?

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Cadillac.com
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:28 PM

So if contiplating a 2014 how has the problem been addressed ?
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 PM

Had a right back rim failing. I now have another one in the 50-60 MPH speed. Wheel hop was bad. yes after a certain time did slowed up the ride and replaced it by myself.
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 12:42 PM

I did not have a failure of the diff, but klunking & whine from the diff. Dlr said it needed to be replaced at 52 k miles. New diff has 3k miles and displays the same symptoms.
Dlr says the new diff has a new part # so it must be new & improved. Only driving that might have stressed is hard acceleration. This driving me nuts, because otherwise I love the car.
2005 CTS V sedan
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr838 View Post
I did not have a failure of the diff, but klunking & whine from the diff. Dlr said it needed to be replaced at 52 k miles. New diff has 3k miles and displays the same symptoms.
Dlr says the new diff has a new part # so it must be new & improved. Only driving that might have stressed is hard acceleration. This driving me nuts, because otherwise I love the car.
2005 CTS V sedan
When I returned to the dealer they said the only thing they could find was the oil in the differential had turned black. So I guess that extreme heat is a factor in the eventual failures.
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:17 AM

Differential failure / problems

Is there any possibility that the rear differential from the Pontiac G8 would replace the CTS V differential. Hopefully it would be stronger and cheaper than some of the other fixes I have seen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in