Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V

Cadillac V-Series - CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V (https://www.vseries.net/forums/)
-   CTS-V Discussion (https://www.vseries.net/forums/7-cts-v-discussion/)
-   -   Rear/Diff Failure - Please post details inside! (https://www.vseries.net/forums/7-cts-v-discussion/116-rear-diff-failure-please-post-details-inside.html)

ekool 02-07-2005 09:45 AM

Rear/Diff Failure - Please post details inside!

We are trying to collect some information regarding the differential failures that some owners have experienced.

What we need are the following:

Dates of Failure(s)
Cause of Failure(s) - ie. hard acceleration, wheelhop... please let us know if there was no wheelhop, because we would like to keep track of the percentage of failures that did NOT experience wheelhop.
Car information (date of mfgr, mileage, any modifications, OEM tires, tire pressure, etc)

If we can get a comprehensive list of this, we can analyze the data and submit something to Cadillac and perhaps find a workaround or fix. At the very least, it will provide owners with information and statistics to backup any warranty claims.

Please spread the word, as the larger the information base we can aquire, the better our chances are of working this out for our benefit.

flyboy 02-08-2005 04:46 AM

Had a right rear wheel bearing failure. I now have a "whine" in the 50-60 MPH range. Wheel hop is bad. Many aftermarket vendors are working on it. Katech in Michigan has installed a mod on mine and improved it 80 - 90%. They've also changed the clutch and put in a short throw shift that is FABULOUS!!! Last year ran at Milan with an "almost stock" V. Best time was 13.3 @ 106 with severe wheel hop.

V-seriesTech 02-08-2005 05:06 AM

We at the dealership,...have had NO CTS-V diff failures.

ekool 02-08-2005 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyboy
Had a right rear wheel bearing failure. I now have a "whine" in the 50-60 MPH range. Wheel hop is bad. Many aftermarket vendors are working on it. Katech in Michigan has installed a mod on mine and improved it 80 - 90%. They've also changed the clutch and put in a short throw shift that is FABULOUS!!! Last year ran at Milan with an "almost stock" V. Best time was 13.3 @ 106 with severe wheel hop.

I need a short throw shifter and I'm not sure I want to pay Mallet $440 for their unit.

Do you have more information on the Katech one? Also, I'm interested in their anti-wheelhop kit... are they available on their website?

V-seriesTech 02-08-2005 03:40 PM

i wonder if PRO 5.0 make a shifter for the CTS-V.

ekool 02-08-2005 04:24 PM

We should find out where they are and send someone over there ;)

I wonder if any C5 short through might bolt in? The throw on this thing is ridiculously long... its like trying to powershift a truck :)

StealthV 02-08-2005 07:40 PM

A Corvette, GTO, F-bod, etc. shifter will not work on the V as it has its own unique, remote linkage design. :mad:

ekool 02-08-2005 08:01 PM

I figured it was a long shot ;)

flyboy 02-09-2005 04:21 AM

Katech

I'm happy with the Katech work so far. They still have my "V" and doing some more mods. I don't have the price yet for the short throw shifter.....but, it's like "day and night" as opposed to the factory shifter. Their web site is www.katechengines.com

V-seriesTech 02-09-2005 04:52 AM

Maybe Katech will do a group purchase discount, of some sort. I know the vette guys on certain forums will get several people together, 10 or soo, to buy something,and getting a group discount.

I'm gonna check with my parts guys and see if we can get some kind of a shifter product, so we have something for our customers.